[extropy-chat] vitrification question

kevinfreels at hotmail.com kevinfreels at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 10 18:31:18 UTC 2003

To vitrify, or not to vitrify: that is the question.

Whether 'tis healthier for the mind to suffer

the ripping and tearing of Molar Glycerol,

or to take arms against these destructions of the mind

and by decapitation, prevent them.

To freeze: to sleep; is there more?

And by a freeze to say we end

the heart-ache and the imminent cellular death

that flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation

devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to freeze;

To freeze: perchance to live: ay, there's the rub;

For after that sleep of cryopreservation what life may come

when we have replaced this mortal coil,

Must give us pause: there's the respect

that makes calamity of immortal life;

For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,

the oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,

the pangs of deceased love, the law's ineptitude,

the ignorance of the religious and the spurns,

that patient merit of unworthy takes,

When he himself might his quietus make

with a bare bodkin? Who would fardels bear,

to think and explore under a binary life,

but that dread of nothingness after death,

The undiscover'd country from whose bourn

no traveller has yet returned. puzzles the will

And makes us rather bear those ills we have

than to fly to others we are unsure of;

Thus does consciousness make cowards of us all;

OK. I digressed a bit. But really. I am assuming most, if not all of you are signed up with Alcor just in case... I am doing it now. I am trying to decide between neurosuspension and full body, or the open-ended option. I am leaning towards neurosuspension because of the vitrification process. Any comments?

Also, if you are neurosuspended, what do they do with the rest of the body?

Just curious.