[extropy-chat] Bush extols technology's power over censorship and control

JDP jacques at dtext.com
Tue Nov 11 17:22:51 UTC 2003

Damien Broderick wrote:

> http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/06/politics/06TEXT-BUSH.html?pagewanted=print
> &position=
>
> Gee:
>
> < Historians ... will point to the role of technology in frustrating
> censorship and central control, and marvel at the power of instant
> communications to spread the truth, the news and courage across borders. >

I've read it all and I think the speech was rather good (though I am
only a casual reader of such things, and by no way an expert). It didn't
assume too much, and while it celebrated a certain political philosophy
(the one of liberty), it did that with the proper arguments, mostly
focused on things that can hardly be denied, and did show some sort of
respect for dissenting views.

Of course it is only a speech, if you like, but a good one. And I prefer
that the superpower head say such things rather than others.

I'm not sure that competition is our final fate, but we still need it badly.

Jacques