[extropy-chat] should we drop "believe"

aperick at centurytel.net aperick at centurytel.net
Wed Nov 12 01:50:46 UTC 2003

I must sympathize with Brett. He [rightly I think] believes that his beliefs
are so superior to the beliefs of religious folk that he cannot bear to hear
the same word used to refer to his beliefs. HE only allows himself to
believe according to evidence. Furthermore, he is very discriminating with
respect to the nature of the evidence he will seriously consider. Both of
these facts clearly set his beliefs apart from the beliefs of religious
folk. Hence the popular term "faith based." He fears that if he allows the b
word to be applied to his reckonings he is thereby guilty of allowing
miscommunication. But I have much doubt that any of the currently faithful
will ever understand the nature of his/our protestations.

There have been times when I have suffered the ignorance of god-fearing folk
who had the audacity to accuse me of having faith in scientific theories.
Since most of the stupid xtians will always associate every occurrence of
the b word with a degree of faith, we are wont to quit using the b word
entirely! I, for one, can see that this will not accomplish anything - it is
partly an over-reaction. WE here are all immune to infection by this
particular meme. But damn it feels good, to agree to avoid the word, their
word - when among our own kind.