[extropy-chat] Depressing Thought. from Laurence of Berkeley

Samantha Atkins samantha at objectent.com
Wed Nov 12 20:49:45 UTC 2003

The point I was attempting to make is that when the economic system itself
becomes sufficiently sick the majority of players within it will make sick
choices in order to remain competitive at all.   In such a situation it is
not entirely fair to treat the individual players as being largely to blame.
There is some level of guilt there but it isn't primary.

If I wanted to maximize profits for my stock holders in the middle of the
bubble then I would engage in quite a few practices that made relatively
little real business sense but that drove up the price of the stock.  If I
did not do so I would be replaced as an executive by the board for not
maximizing the value to the stockholder.  If the board did not take that
position then my company with lose out to the competition that gathered a
larger war chest of funds.   It became a vicious cycle.

-s