Subject: [extropy-chat] Social Implications of Nanotech

Robin Hanson rhanson at gmu.edu
Thu Nov 13 19:07:24 UTC 2003

On 11/13/2003, Curt Adams wrote:
>Without self-replication, I don't see any good reason that nanotechnology
>will produce effects fundamentally different from other revolutionary techs,
>like railroads, electricity, scientific drug design or computers.

Well each of those revolutions did produce different effects, but you might
well argue that these differences are small compared to the effect of
self-replication of programmable nano-factories.

Assistant Professor of Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323