[extropy-chat] Causes of luddism

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Thu Nov 13 22:33:42 UTC 2003

--- Bill Hibbard <test at demedici.ssec.wisc.edu> wrote:
> Very good point. But rather than hypothetical
> quotes,
> how about the real thing:
>
>   http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~billh/g/message9.txt
>
> and:
>
>   http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~billh/g/message10.txt

Umm...you missed my point.  It's not that we should
necessarily believe in them to make wise decisions
right now.  It's that they believe in themselves to
make wise decisions when the time comes - and if they
believe we are aiming to impose our will upon them, to
deny them any say in the matter in the future, that is
what often causes them to act against us in the
present.

Besides, the majority of presently living human beings
have opted against immediate suicide.  (Yeah, yeah,
they're still aging - but I'm talking about within the
next few hours or so.)  We can trust their senses of
self-preservation to act similarly in the future.