[extropy-chat] I'm back.

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Fri Nov 14 00:12:25 UTC 2003

Robin Hanson wrote:

> On 11/12/2003, Dan Clemmensen wrote:
>
>>    In 1996l, on this list, I asserted that the singularity would
>> occur prior to 2006. I had no viable reason for
>> that asertion. I still have no viable reason for that assertion.
>

> To be clear, are you still making that assertion?

Yes, but I'm feeling pretty shakey about it. I also asserted to Damien
(who quoted me in the original Auatralian version of "The Spike") That
any such assertion is invalid more than about a year in advance, because
the real evidence is tenuous. If you recall our discussins back in 1996,
my premise is that the singularity will be a phase change in a
supercritical technological substrate, analogous to the instantaneous
freezing of supercooled water when it is shocked.

This hypothesis here is that an SI will include a very large
co-operating computer system running newly-developed software that can
improve itswelf. With sufficient available computer resources, such a
system should very rapidly improve its ability to improve itself.

More available computing power translates to a higher liklihood that the
"net" is supercritical.

Since 1996, we've seen the an increase in available computing power of
perhaps 10,000 to 100,000, depending on how you count. We've also seen
the emergence of Beowulf clusters, SETI at home, grid computing, and
Google. All of these techniques add to the toolbox and open new avenues
that might let soem clever programmer make the breakthrough.

The difference between my hypothesis and Elizier's "friendly AI" is that
my hypothesis does not specify the nature of the self-improving system.
His friendly AI is an instance of a class, but any member of the class
results in the SI.

My hypothesis is that the mroe "supercritical" the system is, the
simpler the seed can be. Eventually, the power on the "net" will be so
large that a trivial assembly of programs and people will suffice.

Will this happen by 2006? Well, "I still have no viable justification
for this assertion."

Sorry for the weasel wordsa. As you see, I'm mostly holding this
position for old time's sake.