[extropy-chat] Onan's disgraceful sin

Max M maxm at mail.tele.dk
Fri Nov 14 08:16:43 UTC 2003

Damien Broderick wrote:

>>http://www.libidomag.com/reviews/professionals/selfpleasure.html
>
> Without looking beyond the suffix of that url, I can tell that it's about
> masturbation--which is exactly NOT what God struck Onan dead for doing.
>
> Onan was killed by Yahveh for withdrawing `prematurely' and `spilling his
> seed upon the ground'.

I would intepret it the way that he was killed for defying Gods wish.
Not for what he actully did, but for why he didi it.

But than again i'm not religious, so I might interpret a lot of things
different.

Funny thing is that I had no idea where the danish words "onani" and
"onanere" came from. Guess I do now...

regards Max M Rasmussen

##########

http://www.goodmorals.org/sterile.html

The Bible refers to the deed as the sin of Onan. Onan was the son of
Judah and Shuah. Genesis 38:4. The Lord slew Onan's brother for
wickedness. Judah told Onan to marry his brother's wife "and raise up
seed to thy brother." Genesis 38:8. But Onan did not want to have
children by his brother’s wife.

     "And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to
pass, when he went in unto his brother’s wife, that he spilled it on the
ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother."

Genesis 38:9. This misdeed displeased the Lord; "wherefore he slew him
also." Genesis 38:9-10.