[extropy-chat] Knuckle-walking (WAS: HISTORY: Solved & Unsolved Riddles)

kevinfreels at hotmail.com kevinfreels at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 14 17:55:04 UTC 2003

For the past month or so I have been slowly compiling information for a
paper I am writing. This paper is probably useless since I am neither a
researcher, nor a college student, but I am doing it for myself.

One interesting tidbit of information I have found is that it is the tree
swingers that do most of the upright walking; particularly the orang-utan
and the chimps. When they come to the ground, they spend more time uprtight
than they do knuckle-walking. These are the primates which we share more DNA
with.

Also, there is some evidence that Lucy may have in fact been a
knuckle-walker. This is extremely interesting because she has chimp-like
features and ape-like features. Much of the established BELIEF is that she
is an ancestor of ours because of her upright posture. If she was a
knuckle-walker, she would be reduced to being just another primate. This
could really screw up what we think we know.

Another small bit I have run across is that only humans sleepwalk. I haven't
even begun to try to figure out what that means. Maybe I'll tackle it a bit
later.