[extropy-chat] Causes of luddism

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Fri Nov 14 19:05:17 UTC 2003

Bill Hibbard wrote:

> --- Adrian Tymes <wingcat at pacbell.net> wrote:
>
>> --- Bill Hibbard <test at demedici.ssec.wisc.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Very good point. But rather than hypothetical quotes, how about the
>>> real thing:
>>>
>>> http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~billh/g/message9.txt
>>>
>>> and:
>>>
>>> http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~billh/g/message10.txt
>>
>> Umm...you missed my point.  It's not that we should necessarily
>> believe in them to make wise decisions right now.  It's that they
>> believe in themselves to make wise decisions when the time comes -
>> and if they believe we are aiming to impose our will upon them, to
>> deny them any say in the matter in the future, that is what often
>> causes them to act against us in the present.
>
> But that is what these quotes are saying, that the public and their
> elected representatives are too stupid to have any say in the matter.

I notice you've done some hella selective quoting there.

For the uncensored version, see:

http://www.sl4.org/archive/0305/6822.html

Sample omission:  "There's a reason why science tests theories using
experiments instead of having panels of government experts vote on them,
and it's not because government experts are stupid."