[extropy-chat] Social Implications of Nanotech

Alejandro Dubrovsky alito at organicrobot.com
Fri Nov 14 22:11:32 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-15 at 05:11, Robin Hanson wrote:
> At 05:03 AM 11/15/2003 +1000, Alejandro Dubrovsky wrote:
> >Would production time really be a very important factor?  Unless the
> >production of items extends to multi-day efforts, i don't see this
> >affecting much at the consumer end.  I agree with both other factors.
>
> Well time matters as it effects the overall throughput of the factory.

It affects the overall throughput if the machines are operating near
capacity, which depends on the consumers' wishes, time to build, and
price of feedstock plus energy.  I was estimating that the average user
wouldn't want to build anything more than once or twice a day (depends
of course, on whether people start eating minted products (building food
is possible? cheaper to mint it than to get it by more traditional
means? feedstock is FDA approved for human consumption? strong negative
emotional reaction to eating minted food?).  (Always assuming no AI)
alejandro