[extropy-chat] HISTORY: Solved & Unsolved Riddles

kevinfreels at hotmail.com kevinfreels at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 14 23:16:29 UTC 2003

I don't think that you are arguing because of an ego. The word "believe" has
a variety of meanings: (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=believe)

To accept as true or real: "Do you believe the news stories? "
To credit with veracity: "I believe you. "
To expect or suppose; think: "I believe they will arrive shortly. "

v. intr.
To have firm faith, especially religious faith.
To have faith, confidence, or trust: I believe in your ability to solve the
problem.
To have confidence in the truth or value of something: We believe in free
speech.
To have an opinion; think: They have already left, I believe.

So in some cases, it is used as a justification of something taken as fact
without supporting evidence. In others, it is expectation or supposition
which both would be based in some fact. To think.

What bothers me is when people use its faith based version while claiming
otherwise. I agree with you about public policy being made by uninformed
faith based beliefs.

As far as ego goes, don't we all have one?