[extropy-chat] I'm back.

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Sun Nov 16 10:42:04 UTC 2003

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:

> I've accepted as fact the amazing human ability to clearly
> analyze a  mistake, correctly state the rational alternative,
> and then, smiling cherubically, commit the mistake, but y'know,
> it's still a bit frustrating to watch it in action.

I do 'know' the 'feeling'.

Here's a thought though. Perhaps what you are seeing is a
warning that you may do well not to empower those *particular*
folk further until they learn to manage responsibly the knowledge
that they already have. It makes little sense to have 'faith' in
particular people against the evidence. One can always selectively
empower that subset of others that does not appear irresponsible
and unable to manage the knowledge they already have.

I think the notion of respecting the rights of particular others to opt
themselves out of the gene and meme pools should and ought be
respected. This is not eugenics or elitism, this is simply respecting
in a pragmatic way that others *can* *choose* to self-destruct
and that one has no moral duty, in a world short of resources to
get between a masochist and the whip.

Regards,
Brett