[extropy-chat] ImmInst Chat - Mike Treder, Nanotech

Bruce J. Klein bjk at imminst.org
Mon Nov 17 07:01:59 UTC 2003

>>How Dangerous is Nanotech?
>>Mike Treder - ImmInst Chat
>
>I am very sorry I am going to miss this.  This chat is great fun, and Mike
>is really hot on this topic.
>
>Natasha

Yes, Mike was an informative and helpful chat guest.  ImmInst is grateful
for his participation.

CHAT EXCERPT:

[20:03] <Treder> Let me start by saying that nanotech is not very dangerous
now -- but in the near future, when MNT is developed, it could prove
extremely risky.

[20:03] <@BruceK> Could you give the worst case scenario?

[20:05] <Treder> Worst case, one nation other than the US develops MNT
first. The US recognizes the potential loss of world leadership and nukes
the other country. Or tries to, but it's too late, because MNT has already
developed superior weaponry.

[20:04] <Jonesey> Mike, is there a risk specific to nanotech but not to
technological advance in general? We're seeing airplanes being deployed as
weapons, trucks as bombs, you name it. Isn't the issue more of why we're so
angry at each other, since that'll spill over into whatever technology we
develop?

[20:06] <Treder> Jonesy, MNT exacerbates the human problems you refer to,
by making single humans or small groups potentially far more dangerous.

[20:05] <John_Ventureville> Mike, Is there a science fiction story/novel
which you feel shows how you think things may/will develop?

ARCHIVE: http://imminst.org/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=99&t=2135&s=