[extropy-chat] garage nanotech?

dgc at cox.net dgc at cox.net
Mon Nov 17 21:56:43 UTC 2003

> From: <kevinfreels at hotmail.com>
>
> I am an amateur rocket builder. Although it is not likely
> that I can design and build an orbital spacecraft, I have
> built a rocket with a primitive guidance system
> that "points" the rocket toward the sun and is capable of
> mach 1.2 in my own garage.

I must council you against this. Mach 1.2 in your garage is dangerous, unless you have a very tall garage :-)

> I am guessing that before assemblers become a reality, it
> will be possible for people to start creating things at
> the nano scale in their garages. Most likey it will be
> simple stuff. Call it amateur nanotech.
>
> When will this type of technology become available?

Here is my guess:
  MNT tools are conceptually similar to CNC tools, only a lot smaller. You will not be able to acquire a set of these tools until they can be built by tool manufacturere. But this wil not occur until nano-level fabricators are available. Therefore, hobby-level MNT must await industrial MNT. If you subscribe to the "hard take-off" scenario, these two happen at effectively the same time.