[extropy-chat] brain scans for racial attitudes

Tue Nov 18 04:31:02 UTC 2003

> > > http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/11/17/1069027045722.html

I think some people have misinterpreted this.  They didn't say racists had
different brain structures or root causes.  They said they could detect
different thought patterns in racists.  You could get this same effect by
measuring blood pressure.  A racists' blood pressure might go up when shown
pictures of blacks, indicating anger or discomfort, and a distinct lack of
reaction when shown a picture of whites.  A non-racists would have no such
difference in reaction between races.

This is not new.  Similar tests have been used to try detect discomfort at
homosexuality, or to detect pedophiles.  Different people will react to
different pictures differently.  An unexpected emotional response to a
particular race, gender, age, or type of person might indicate unusual
feelings toward that group compared to feelings toward other groups.

> > Hate crimes, of course, could no longer impart more severe
> > sentences if the perpetrators cannot help themselves.

I disagree.  A predisposition to break the law does not reduce sentencing.
In fact, I believe that a good rational *for* hate crime legislation is
whether the perpetrator is likely to recommit.  A guy who kills his wife's
lover in a fit of rage is unlikely to attack other people.  But a racists
who attacks a random person on the street based on their skin color could be
more likely to commit similar crimes in the future.  Or a guy who beats up
gays is more likely to beat up other gays.  Such crimes, based not just on
hate, but hate for a specific group, are more threatening and the
perpetrator is more likely to be a larger threat to the community than a
similar crime committed against a particular individual.

The term "hate"-crime confuses people.  It is not just about hate, but a
hate of an entire class of people causing predatory behavior toward the
entire group, not just one person.  That is the key.  The crime is based not
on a particular incident or victim, but is based entirely on the
perpetrator's predatory preferences.  Thus, gay bashing should be considered
hate crimes, not because gays are a protected group, but because gay bashers
have a repeatable pattern of behavior aimed at a targeted group.  I think
racist-murderers, Serial-killers, serial-rapists, repeat offenders,
pedophiles, celebrity stalkers and other types of predators should also fit
in this category.

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec Manager,