[extropy-chat] NEWS: Scientists find mystery particle

James james at lab6.com
Tue Nov 18 22:08:18 UTC 2003

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 08:52:32PM +0000, J Corbally wrote:
> >The Japanese team says understanding its existence may require a change to
> >the Standard Model, the accepted theory of the way the Universe is
> >constructed.
> >To explain it, theoretical physicists may have to modify their theory of
> >the colour force; or make X(3872) the first example of a new type of
> >meson, one that is made from four quarks (two quarks and two antiquarks).

Maybe I haven't been keeping up with particle physics, but is this not
the most inspiring news of the year? The Standard Model is boring: no
free-energy particles, no computronium particles, no time-travel
particles, no fractal particles... in fact nothing to laugh at at all.
As long as the Standard Model keeps getting tweaked, the potential for
truly New Physics is there.

I quite like not having a theory of everything. It postpones having to
ask the question: "Is this it?".

--
James <james at lab6.com> <http://james.lab6.com>