[extropy-chat] Re: Human Evolution

Wed Nov 19 12:50:33 UTC 2003

Robert Bradbury wrote,

> I thought there was a slight difference but I checked in
> Google. Chimps and Gorillas have 48 chromosomes vs. 46 in humans.
>
> > And what about other hybrid species, is the same number of
> > chromosomes required for a live birth?
>
> You might manage a live birth with and abnormal number or
> mis-formed chromosomes.  Down's syndrome (trisomy 21) comes
> to mind.  There are others (humans can apparently survive
> with trisomy 21, 18, 13 and 8).  But the consequences may be
> quite significant.  [Google: trisomy syndromes].
>
> We do not know enough to reliably predict in any way the
> results of an untried cross breed.  But for cases where there
> is an extensive amount of work (e.g. plants) there may be
> enough knowledge to make an educated guess as to whether it will work.

Are you guys actually debating whether humans can mate with chimps and have
live cross-species children?  I really question the level of scientific
knowledge on this list.  I assume that all your other biological predictions
are equally scientific....

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec Manager,