[extropy-chat] Re: Harv's Explanation for Slow Progress

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Wed Nov 19 13:16:04 UTC 2003

Harvey Newstrom wrote:

> Brett Paatsch wrote,
>
> Not true.  You have simply ignored the responses.

I read ever word you wrote. But the believing meme is carried in
each person and it can only be removed voluntarily by each person.

They is no tag-teaming the content of our inner dialog.

> I find your "points" to be emotional rhetoric about how great
> your idea is and how bad other people's are.

I can't do anything with this comment divorced as it is from
the context.

> But you never actually explain why you are right and they are
> wrong.  You don't actually refute peoples points with counter
> points. You  merely keep repeating your claims over and over.

I think I do and did. Which point did you make that was not
responed to. I can persuade anyone of anything by knocking
over straw men for ever. The topic is slippery.

> I believe that most people have simply given up trying to logically
> debate this with you.

The debate cannot be had if you can't stop using the phrase
"I believe" long enough to have it.  You can't tell what most people
think by guessing any more than I can.  I can't persuade you if
I write heaps of stuff trying to answer your points and you don't
then read that stuff closely enough to engage with it. If you do
engage with it however then there is only three outcomes, you
will persuade me, I will persuade you or we will stop the debate
for other reasons.

I am not trying to beat you. I am trying to empower you.

Regards,
Brett