[extropy-chat] Libertarianism and the Autistic Spectrum (fwd from fehlinger at un.org)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Nov 19 19:41:48 UTC 2003

Forwarded with permission.

----- Forwarded message from James Fehlinger <fehlinger at un.org> -----

From: "James Fehlinger" <fehlinger at un.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 14:44:24 -0500
Subject: Libertarianism and the Autistic Spectrum

Liz,

You know, I got all hopped up a year and a half ago
when I discovered stuff on the Web that convinced me
that a lot of folks in the Extropian/transhumanist community
exhibit many of the characteristics of Narcissistic Personality
Disorder (as described in DSM-IV), a fact which makes
them seem abrasive and alarming to the general
population entirely apart from the content of their
particular enthusiasms.

However, it now seems to me that some of this atmosphere
(and my perception of the atmosphere remains the same -- a smug,
self-satisfied lack of empathy with people who don't share
their particular hobby-horse -- and for that matter, a frequent
lack of empathy with each other!) may be due
to a concentration among this group (as with folks in SF fandom,
the Trekkie world, the Role-Playing Game world, computer
programmers, mathematicians, and science/
engineering types in general) of a sub-clinical "shadow syndrome"
of autism.  Not quite Asperger's Syndrome, even,
just a mild echo of it.

Many symptoms of mild autism seem to mimic aspects
of Narcissistic Personality Disorder,  OCD (Obsessive-Compulsive
Disorder), and Avoidant Personality Disorder (am **I**
mildly Asperger's, or am I simply Avoidant or Social Phobic?
Dunno.)

Anyway, I just stumbled across an interesting Usenet exchange
that attributes the legalistic, rule-bound, verbal-contract
orientation of many libertarians to the dependence on
explicitly rule-governed behavior (as opposed to fluid,
intuitive, reciprocity in social relations) characteristic
of people on the Autistic Spectrum:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=MPG.16b93cafec85cfe8989a9c%40news.earthlink.net