[extropy-chat] Human Evolution

CurtAdams at aol.com CurtAdams at aol.com
Thu Nov 20 00:43:35 UTC 2003

In a message dated 11/19/03 14:08:38, kevinfreels at hotmail.com writes:

>> But seriously... You really have NO IDEA why trying to create a diminished,
>> crippled human is unethical?
>
>Would you be creating a diminished, crippled human, or an empowered
>improved chimpanzee?

Being more like a human is not necessarily empowered or improved.  First,
it's very possible, even likely, that the hybrid would have various biological
problem such as sterility or developmental problems due solely to its hybrid
nature.  Second, both humans and chimps are profoundly social species but
are social in very different ways.  Said hybrid would almost certainly *want*
to be part of a society and yet, given the drastic differences, almost
certainly
could not function properly in either.  The chance of a well-functioning
individual
is small and the chance of any of many different problems very high.  And, I'd
sure say it's human enough to have rights, leaving aside any discussions of
whether non-human apes are entitled to rights.