[extropy-chat] Harvey's wager

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Thu Nov 20 01:42:05 UTC 2003

Rick wrote:

> >Oh ye of little imagination.
>

> How about this scenario:  I immediately pay a large sum
> to the singularitian.  The day after the predicted singularity date,
> they pay me back my money plus a large sum of their own.
> />
>
> I'll take that. I say it will be in exactly 87 years, and 310 days.
> And I  wager your one million US dollars on it.

I am a little surprised that no one has stepped forward to offer
to hold the money in safe keeping on this yet.  I noticed Emlyn
wanted cash directed or a cheque but that's possibly because
he's Australian and either can't see a lot of need for extra
middlemen or has grown tired of over-"servicing" by them.

I'm Australian too, but I will reluctantly put aside my distaste for
middlemen who add no value to hold the cash for Harvey or
anyone else inclined to the same bet. I won't charge interest or
anything like that - I'll hold the money at no cost - but just
remember that you owe me a favour ;-)

Regards,
Brett
[Ps: Don't tell Robin about this though he probably wouldn't
 "understand" ;-)  ]