[extropy-chat] Re: Human Evolution

Thu Nov 20 21:38:07 UTC 2003

kevinfreels at hotmail.com wrote,
> > Are you guys actually debating whether humans can mate with
> > chimps and have live cross-species children?  I really
> > question the level of scientific knowledge on this list.
>
> No, that's not the issue.

Good.  This makes me feel a lot better.  I thought we had taken a left-turn
into the X-files....

> Finally, what is your reason for questioning the level of
> scientific knowledge on this list?

I want realistic attitudes with brainstorming toward realistic solutions.  I
don't want to waste time reinventing the wheel or pursuing ideas that have
already been explored.  Scientific knowledge bootstraps us into building on
previous knowledge to go farther.  Those who don't know (scientific) history
are doomed to repeat it.

> Being open-minded does not mean that you have to accept it if
> someone says "The Earth is flat"

You seem to think that my interest in scientific knowledge implies that I am
not open minded.  These are not mutually exclusive states.  I think we can
choose both.

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec Manager,