[extropy-chat] Longevity: sea urchin

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 21 23:35:01 UTC 2003

Alfio Puglisi <puglisi at arcetri.astro.it> wrote:

I don't know if this is really news to the experts of the field or not,
but here is a nice piece about how sea urchins seem able to live to 100 or
200 years without any sign of aging:

http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ncs/newsarch/2003/Nov03/urchin.htm

Ciao,
Alfio

      Actually this is news to me. I was aware that there are some species of invertebrates that have unusually long life spans like cold water clams of the Quahog variety, and possibly giant squid. What makes this particularly interesting is that echinoderms like sea-urchins are deuterosomes and have bilateral symmetry that make them more closely related to us than most invertebrates.

The Avantguardian

"He stands like some sort of pagan god or deposed tyrant. Staring out over the city he's sworn to . . .to stare out over and it's evident just by looking at him that he's got some pretty heavy things on his mind."