[extropy-chat] Glowing fish to be first genetically changed pet

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Sat Nov 22 09:55:59 UTC 2003

http://www.reuters.co.uk/printerFriendlyPopup.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=407
> 444
> A little tropical fish that glows fluorescent red will be the first
> genetically engineered pet. The zebra fish were originally
> developed to detect environmental toxins, but a company
> licensed them to sell as pets. The fish, sold under the
> trademarked name GloFish, carry a gene taken from a
> sea coral that makes it glow all the time.
>
> There is no evidence the fish will pose any threat to the
> environment.

Where does a statement like that come from?

If they are not causing an offense to somebodies eyes they
obviously are not glowing brightly enough yet.

I think a good marketing plan would be to take this company
global real quick (ensuring the fish are able to be bred in hatcheries
a number of countries) in anticipation of a backlash which might
if the company was lucky create a ban in some places and drive the
price up.

Failing that Monsanto or a GMO stakeholder that wants to alter
public awareness might sponsor (discretely) a program to get
these GM fish donated to schools, science centres maybe even a
few loud mouth journalists and politicians. Two for each classroom
- one named plasmid the other transposon.

Might do wonders for the raising of awareness on the naturalness
of GM.

> Normal zebra fish are commonly used in aquariums and
> cannot survive in non-tropical waters. They are very bright
> under any type of light, and under ultraviolet light in a dark
> room they will appear to be glowing in the dark.
> The fish will sell for about $5 apiece at pet stores in January.
> http://www.segrestfarms.com/index.ihtml?skipintro=1

I guess a low price will work for mass distribution purposes
but still a ban at the right time could be better. It really would
not be sporting without some sort of ban as clearly these fish
are the direct conception of Satan Himself. God did not
mean for fish to glow like corral. Nooo! God wanted Adam to
have nipples ....because Eve would need them!

Brett