[extropy-chat] Personal effectiveness

Max More max at maxmore.com
Mon Nov 24 18:31:05 UTC 2003

Holding off environmental entropy is always an issue for me, given the
volumes of stuff related to personal projects, ExI projects, and work
projects. Having looked at quite a few organizing systems, I can recommend
without hesitation my favorite:

Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity
David Allen

My review:

Anyone who manages multiple projects or a complex individual role will find
this book an invaluable help (unless you are already superbly organized).
Out of the many books available on time management, priority-setting, and
turning plans into action, this is one of the very best. David Allen's
system takes some investment of time to implement but then speeds up
decision-making and improves clarity of thought by downloading all your
free floating concerns into a well-developed framework of files and action
lists. This allows you to focus on your current task without worrying about
forgetting something and without losing track of materials needed in the
future.

After explaining his view of mastering workflow and project planning, Allen
shows you how to set up for the process and then has you corral all your
"stuff". You then process this until your in-boxes are empty. He shows
clearly how to organize materials for reference and for later action,
stresses the importance of regular review, and shows how to keep projects
under control. Implementing the whole program requires an investment of
time (preferably two full days), though some techniques can be put to use
immediately with clear rewards, such as the two-minute rule and the use of
special folders for action items that will help you clear your paper and
email in-boxes, freeing your mind to focus on current tasks. Highly
recommended for busy executives and anyone with a complicated life.

Max