[extropy-chat] Device puts you in the right state of mind

Alex Ramonsky alex at ramonsky.com
Mon Nov 24 21:28:03 UTC 2003

Max More wrote:

> Do you really mean to suggest that extropians in general are ignorant
> of neurotech?.

> Based on one comment by one person who may not even describe himself
> as "an extropian"?

Nooooo! ...Based  on last year's surprise at TMS, and apparent
astonishment prior to that about the concept of wiping memory, and
people mailing me off list and saying 'wow' a lot
  :  )

> Neurotech has been discussed and covered frequently since Extropy
> magazine first came out in 1988.

Maybe those not so in the know are newcomers...not everyone goes through
the archives? Also not everybody is interested in the same subjects. Who
knows? But it did surprise me that a lot of folks got so surprised. I
know too that neurotech is a field which is going through some very fast
changes right now, some of which may slip by unnoticed, but usually
 extropians are the very people good at finding those juicy little bits
of research everybody misses...so I'm not suggesting that extropians are
ignorant of neurotech, so much as baffled as to why decades-old tech
and/or techniques would be treated with such excitement by persons who
are not.
...I _think_ that made sense; I might have to read through it again...
 :   )
AR