[extropy-chat] Plastic promises dense data store

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Fri Nov 28 17:16:17 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Clemmensen" <dgc at cox.net>
To: "Dirk Bruere" <dirk at neopax.com>; "ExI chat list"
<extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Sent: Friday, November 28, 2003 4:50 PM
Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] Plastic promises dense data store

> Dirk Bruere wrote:

> >Well, before everyone gets too excited maybe it should be pointed out
that
> >the *hypothesised* information density of 1GB/cc is probably less than
for
> >existing drives.
> >

> I just measured a standard 3.5" disk drive. It's just about exactly
> 300cc, including its
> PCB and connectors. You can buy a 350GB version, so yes, the density is
> already higher.

Seems to be true of a lot of promising memory technologies.
However, I would certainly pay a 10x premium for an all solid state version
of a 'hard drive'.
Currently mass storage prices are about $1 per GB and the nearest solid
state contender (flash) comes in about 100x that.

Dirk

The Consensus:-
The political party for the new millennium
http://www.theconsensus.org