[extropy-chat] The Consensus

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 29 17:26:44 UTC 2003

WARNING: Dirk opened the season here. The discussion will herafter
involve discussion of guns, self defense, and nasty things like rights.
So those of you with sensitive ears, emotions, or constitutions who
think guns, rights, or defending ones-self are 'icky' issues, please do
not read further...

--- Dirk Bruere <dirk at neopax.com> wrote:
> [...]

Okay, you asked for it...
Considering that 'reasonable force' in Britain, under present law,
extends no further than yelling loudly for help (and there is debate
over even allowing that, noise ordinances and all that rot) as you are
getting mugged by a fellow with an illegal gun who doesn't give a sod
about either the law or your right to self defense.

In fact, a number of individuals in Britain who have defended
themselves have not only spent time in prison for doing so (even when
their attackers were career criminals), but have been sued to the poor
house by their attackers for injuring them while they were conducting
their customary means of employment (i.e being a criminal). Families of
criminals killed in the act have sued their victims as well.

Law abiding British serfs going about their business have been
convicted in Britain for illegal posession of a weapon for having any
one of the following on their persons: knitting needle, pen, pen-knife,
butter knife, wrench, screwdriver, letter opener, bottle of binaca,
mace, pepper spray, taser, pencil, metal tipped cane, and even a water
pistol. There is no such thing as 'reasonable force' permitted in
Britain.

As a result, the murder rate in Britain has been rising by double
digits for the past three years, despite the government's schemes for
giggering the stats (i.e. three people are killed by one killer, it is
counted as one murder, a killer kills multiple people on different
dates, it is counted as one murder, if a victim defends themselves,
they committed a crime, so their murder is downgraded to homicide or
manslaughter) illegal gun posession (i.e. guns smuggled into the
country) has been skyrocketing, and property crime rates which were
five times the rates in the US three years ago are now 8-10 times
higher.

Conversely, here in NH, the Free State, which has one of the highest
rates of gun posession in the world, we have homicide rates and violent
crime rates comparable to Switzerland, and one of the lowest property
crime rates in the world.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark