[extropy-chat] Guns

Charlie Stross charlie at antipope.org
Sun Nov 30 18:42:30 UTC 2003

On 30 Nov 2003, at 18:10, Mike Lorrey wrote:
> Firstly, most states limit the ability of teenagers to obtain and/or
> use firearms without supervision. Secondly, studies have shown that
> teenagers who regularly use guns in family activities like hunting,
> competetive shooting, etc. exhibit far fewer psychological problems and
> far less criminal tendencies than the ritalin addled, video game and
> MTV benumbed, goal-less couch potatoes one typically finds in a non-gun
> owning household. Your stereotype is a myth, and a rather offensive one
> at that, but I understand that it is one that the yellow-baiting
> european press likes to promulgate with regularity, because being
> prejudicial and racist against white country dwellers is entirely okay
> in leftist circles....

Mike, I've been off this list for nearly two months.

I've just come back on.

The first post on this topic that I've read is Alfio's, and the second
is your response.

I'd like to make two observations:

Firstly, you appear to be indulging in exactly the same stereotyping
that you accuse Alfio of. I make no judgement over whether he's
stereotyping too; but you're not doing yourself any favours by making
wild over-generalizations about (a) foreigners and (b) people from
social backgrounds you don't approve of.

Secondly, and this observation applies to Alfio also, a wise man once
remarked: "do not waste time arguing with a pig. You won't learn
anything useful, the pig won't learn anything useful, and all you'll
succeed in doing is annoying your bacon." I see no sign that this
debate is being pursued by parties with an honest willingness to adapt
or moderate their views on the basis of new evidence. Beliefs about gun
ownership seem to be deeply rooted to an almost religious extent, and I
think they belong on an extropian list to exactly the same degree as
discussions of the relative merits of one invisible holy friend over
another.

-- Charlie