[extropy-chat] Personal effectiveness

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Sun Nov 30 21:52:20 UTC 2003

At 10:04 PM 11/30/2003 +0100, JDP wrote:

>Absolutely! Thanks Adrian, it's good to feel understood :-) In fact,
>over time I think I developped a kind of very precise synchronization,

I love the effortless gracefulness I feel when I am cooking something that
has to be exactly right and I can do another task and have it fold in
precisely.  I'm a cook not a chef, so the effortless grace only comes from
dozens of repetitions.

For example, when I make kasha, the kasha needs to be mixed with a beaten
egg and the frying pan needs to be just hot enough for water to dance.  I
beat the egg and mix the kasha while the pan is heating, with seconds to
spare.  Once the pan is hot, there are nine steps to complete in about two
minutes.  Every time I do this, I see what else I can find time for, like
soaking the mixing bowl or making coffee.

I think I enjoy this because my usual moments of elegance are cerebral not
physical.

I faintly recall threads from a few years ago:  a few extropians stated
their desire to become transhuman in part to be capable of superhuman
physical feats or activities.  And certainly there have been expressions of
current joy and satisfaction from physical pursuits.  (Kendra/dancing,
Amara/biking, Russell/bujinkan, and Simon/banjo come to mind.)  As opposed,
perhaps, to those who spoke here of sexuality as an annoying distraction
from their goals.

-- David Lubkin.