[extropy-chat] life expectancy

Damien Broderick thespike at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 30 22:38:10 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "BillK" <bill at wkidston.freeserve.co.uk>
Sent: Sunday, November 30, 2003 4:26 PM

<http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20030930.wwomen0930/BNStory
/National/>

> "According to statistics from 1997 to 1999, Canadian women have a life
> expectancy of 81.4 years compared with 75.9 years for men.
>
> When deaths from preventable causes are excluded, however, life
> expectancy for women is 73.5 years, slightly less than the average of
> 73.9 for men.

Bill, I'm still trying to make sense of this. After you exclude the wild and
dangerous life style of Canadian women, their life expectancy *drops* from
81.4 years to 73.5? I guess that the latter figure is for the entire living
female population, or more exactly that the former figure is for girl babies
born between 1997 and 1999, does that sound right?

Damien Broderick