[extropy-chat-test] AI sues to save its life

kevinfreels at hotmail.com kevinfreels at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 21 19:19:40 UTC 2003

Would this AI be able to support itself? If so, she could make arrangements
to pay her creators for creating her. Then she could "move out" and pay for
her own life-support...Just like anyone else. She's already demonstrated an
ability to earn an income. Why should the company be responsible for
maintaining her life support indefinitely? Would we set limits on computer
"maturity" like we do with the 18 and 21 yearl old humans?
Once you go down the road to treating them like humans, lots of things
become interesting. They would have to be allowed to own property, but would
be eligible for the draft.
They could hire people to come in and maintain them, and  thus would become
part of the economy. They could even have children!
They could vote and maybe even run for office. A significant number of them
would comprise an important voting block and would have politicians
pandering to their needs in return for funding of their campaigns.
Surely they'll get bored sitting around in a box and want to get out and
"see" the world. They'll be trying to work themselves into a body at the
same time we're trying to get into a computer.
Wow, this could become very interesting indeed. No doubt these things have
already been discussed here, but I am new nad every day I am amazed at the
possibilities of the future.
Would an SI eventualy develop at least a limited prescient ability such as
Hari Seldon's psychohistory? Or even as Leto II in Dune?