More words to praise Damien's words [was: Re: [extropy-chat] "The Spike" - Raymond Kurzweil]

Max More max at maxmore.com
Thu Oct 30 07:43:26 UTC 2003

At 11:35 PM 10/29/2003, Barbara wrote:

>By the way, Damien has just received an Australia Council Literature Board
>writing Fellowship for 2004 - 2005 to write two novels dealing with the
>impact of the coming singularity.

Congratulations Damien! Great news.

In solemn recognition of this occasion, I'm imposing yet more quotations on
you -- this time all relating to writing...

"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense."
- Tom Clancy

"I can write better than anybody who can write faster, and I can write
faster than anybody who can write better."
- A. J. Liebling (1904-1963)

"He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know."
- Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)

"This book fills a much-needed gap."
- Moses Hadas (1900-1966) in a review

"Thank you for sending me a copy of your book - I'll waste no time reading
it."
- Moses Hadas (1900-1966)

"Some editors are failed writers, but so are most writers."
- T. S. Eliot (1888-1965)

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools.
Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

"I'll moider da bum."
- Heavyweight boxer Tony Galento, when asked what he thought of William
Shakespeare

"In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by
everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it's the
exact opposite."
- Paul Dirac (1902-1984)

"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down I was convulsed
with laughter. Some day I intend reading it."
- Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

"I have read your book and much like it."
- Moses Hadas (1900-1966)

"Blessed is the man, who having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy
evidence of the fact."
- George Eliot (1819-1880)

"Manuscript: something submitted in haste and returned at leisure."
- Oliver Herford (1863-1935)

"Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My
opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them."
- Flannery O'Connor (1925-1964)

"Copy from one, it's plagiarism; copy from two, it's research."
- Wilson Mizner (1876-1933)

"Wise men make proverbs, but fools repeat them."
- Samuel Palmer (1805-80)

Max

Max More, Ph.D.
max at maxmore.com or more at extropy.org