[extropy-chat] SPACE: Back to the Moon (?)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Oct 30 22:26:56 UTC 2003

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 10:46:41AM -0500, JAY DUGGER wrote:

> I don't know if reuse could happen so easily. Lunar
> gravity shouldn't pose a problem, but what about radiation

1/6 g should do okay for pretty long stays. It may require a heavy exercise
schedule.

> exposure during transit and then on Luna? Burying the

Two days transit. No problem, unless you run into a major solar storm with no
shielding.

> modules in the regolith once they arrive seems the easiest

Right. Not that short stays will need any more shielding than the landing
module provides.

> way to shield them, but how much regolith do you need and
> can the modules take it over the long term? Remember once

How much regolith do you need to emulate the shielding Earth's atmosphere
provides? 1 m, maybe two.

> you bury them,  repairing the modules gets harder. How do

Hello? You seem to think we're doing lunar mining here?

> you patch a leak from the inside only? One could do it, it

If you're deep, a leak is no problem: material shields. Patching from the
inside as well: polymerizable monomer in situ. Leaks will happen (everything
we sent up to LEO has been leaking like a sieve) but there
are enough volatiles to replenish the losses on Luna.

ICBM: 48.07078, 11.61144 http://www.leitl.org