[extropy-chat] database of professional plaintiffs

Karen Rand Smigrodzki Karen at smigrodzki.org
Fri Oct 31 20:35:29 UTC 2003

if you are sued, one way of finding out if you might have been targeted by a
serial plaintiff is by searching for their name as plaintiff in databases
such as Westlaw or LexisNexis (both expensive). You can also search local
case names (case name includes plaintiff and defendant) in local law
libraries (just ask one of the law librarians to help; or  even a student).
The obvious problem is that the plaintiff may try to vary his name, and/or
the locale: lowest level courts (magistrates, eg) aren't found on the pay
databases I mentioned; however, there are search options on those databases
which my school doesn't buy access to for students. Those extra databases
may allow finding more info about a person by soc sec or address which may
lead you to discover other locales/suits/names used.