[extropy-chat] FWD [fantasticreality] Gun control [was Re: the road to hell]

Terry W. Colvin fortean1 at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 2 15:16:37 UTC 2004

--- In fantasticreality at yahoogroups.com, -Rick- wrote:
> Police here can search homes without a search warrant to
> look for unregistered guns. If you protest, you get 10 years in the
> slammer. Also we are not alowed to deffend our home with a gun.
>
> -Rick-
> Canada

Gun ownership was banned in Australia, and crime rates have
risen by some 600 percent.  Britain has all but eradicated private
gun ownership, and crime figures there have skyrocketed also.

People in both countries have taken to defending their homes
and themselves with clubs, baseball bats, and swords.  Now
Australia is seeking to curtail the use of swords in self-defense
of self, home and property.  Meanwhile, in Britain, if you use any
weapon to defend yourself from an attacker, and the attacker is
killed or injured, then you will be punished, often severly.

This the ultimate, ludicrous goal and result of "political
correctness."  Here is the double-speak, double-think of Orwell's
1984; any term can be used to define, or redefine, it's opposite.
Self-protection is "unnecessary force" or "agression."  If you do
not leave EVERYTHING, in terms of well-being,
self-determination, and justice, to the STATE, then you are "on
the fringe," a "radical," a "vigilante" or a threat to society.  This is a
CROCK, and I think we all know just what type of crock it is.

Defend yourselves, always.  This is one of the most ancient and
fundamental, genuine RIGHTS given to man by God.
Regardless of whether or not it's defense against an armed
intruder, an attacker, or a mindless, gutless suicide bomber or
terrorist, self-defense is always, utterly justified.

The story below demonstrates the sorry state toward which the
world is headed, and which we must ALL fight against.  The guy
in the story should get a medal for taking out the garbage, IMO.

--Mike
----------

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=2687311

Tue 23 Mar 2004

Man Who Killed Armed Intruder Jailed Eight Years

By Will Batchelor, PA News

A man who stabbed to death an armed intruder at his home was
jailed for eight years today.

Carl Lindsay, 25, answered a knock at his door in Salford,
Greater Manchester, to find four men armed with a gun.

When the gang tried to rob him he grabbed a samurai sword
and stabbed one of them, 37-year-old Stephen Swindells, four
times.

Mr Swindells, of Salford, was later found collapsed in an alley
and died in hospital.

Lindsay, of Walkden, was found guilty of manslaughter following
a three-week trial at Manchester Crown Court.

He was sentenced to eight years' imprisonment.

After the case, Detective Chief Inspector Sam Haworth said:
"Four men, including the victim, had set out purposefully to rob
Carl Lindsay and this intent ultimately led to Stephen Swindells'
death.

"I believe the sentences passed today reflect the severity of the
circumstances."

Three other men were charged with robbery and firearms
offences in connection with the incident, which took place in
February last year.

--
"Only a zit on the wart on the heinie of progress." Copyright 1992, Frank Rice

Terry W. Colvin, Sierra Vista, Arizona (USA) < fortean1 at mindspring.com >
     Alternate: < fortean1 at msn.com >
Home Page: < http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/8958/index.html >
Sites: * Fortean Times * Mystic's Haven * TLCB *
      U.S. Message Text Formatting (USMTF) Program