[extropy-chat] ultra-compact dwarfs found lurking

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Sun Apr 4 01:42:45 UTC 2004

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004, Damien Broderick wrote:

> That has to be an interesting place if life starts up there.

Ah, but there is the rub -- in the pre-shepherding days if
there are a lot of gamma-ray bursts due to star collisions and
related astro phenomena things are going to be very tough on life.
One could probably get around it with nanotech (which can rebuild
things very fast) but I wouldn't be placing bets on biotech as we
know most of it.

> But really I was hinting at... a possible history of...
> *cosmic shepherding*...)

Understood.  But these guys are going to have to be the best
pool hustlers in the Universe to get this right.

But I do agree -- it would make a cool novel.

Robert