[extropy-chat] FWD [forteana] Gun control [was Re: the road tohell]

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 4 16:57:14 UTC 2004

--- BillK <bill at wkidston.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat Apr 3 13:44:55 MST 2004 Steve Davies wrote:
> > snip - lots of good stuff about British crime statistics.
>
> The complete report is at:
> <http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/crimeew0203.html>
>

> So a few drunken punches that are called 'crimes' in Britain would
> not even be noticed by the USA cops. (I've seen what goes on in
> country and western bars in the US films).  :)

Typical "US movies are US reality". You are making excuses and
downplaying real crimes. A kid getting bullied out of his cellphone is
as much a crime, and a violent one, as mobsters extorting protection
money.

Your perception of what goes on in US big cities is not what is being
discussed. Someone made the assertion that gun control has no impact on
crime. NH, being a state with one of the most liberalized gun laws in
the country (and getting more liberalized), has crime rates
demonstrably lower, not by a few tens of percents, but by several
hundred percents.

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development