[extropy-chat] FWD [forteana] Gun control [was Re: the roadtohell]

Thomas FitzGerald amergin3 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 7 22:33:23 UTC 2004

Mike,

I'm not especially insulted, and I'm sorry if you were. I'm just relieved to hear that no one on the list thought New York was in New England. Have fun with your gun debate.

Cheers,
Tom FitzGerald

Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:
Connecticut was left out of the comparison because it is a combination
of high crime/high gun control areas and low crime/low gun control
areas. WHile NY is not part of New England, it is part of the
NorthEastern US. I was not specifying New England as a whole, I was
comparing northern New England states with the rest of the NorthEast...

Your misperception makes me wonder about the comprehension capabilities
of other anti-gun types.... see how easily an insulting phrase cane be
turned around one you???? ;)

--- Thomas FitzGerald wrote:
> Hello, all.
>
> I've been lurking on this list for quite a while now, but am finally
> moved to post by a topic of great import: New York State is
> absolutely no part of New England whatsoever. The third southern New
> England state isn't New York; it's Connecticut. Replacing
> Connecticut's crime rate with New York's makes me wonder about how
> accurate some of the other pro-gun stats are.... ;-)
>
> Cheers,
> Tom FitzGerald
>
> Steve Davies wrote:
>
> Mike Lorrey wrote:
> > Northern New England, sir. Crime rates in New York, Massachusetts
> and
> > Rhode Island are on par with other high gun control areas of the
> US.
> > NH, VT, and ME crime rates have been lower than our neighbors for a
> > very specific reason.
>
> I was thinking of the nineteenth and early twentieth century actually
> when I
> said historically. Is New York a part of New England btw? I thought
> it was
> usually put into the "mid atlantic" category.

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development
- Gen. John Stark