[extropy-chat] solution to identity theft

Alfio Puglisi puglisi at arcetri.astro.it
Thu Apr 8 15:51:16 UTC 2004

>How is it done in Europe?  Do you guys have something
>analogous to our SSNs?

Here in Italy we have a "fiscal number" which is unique for each
individual, made up from your name, birth date, etc. ID cards, which have
a serial number, are mandatory. I think most of Europe has mandatory ID
cards. Driving licenses were acceptable ID documents until not so many
years ago, but now it's not clear.

>Do you have credit card companies sending you a dozen
>applications a week for easy credit?

Almost none. Privacy laws are very strict. If I tell some company to
delete my name and address from their db, they must do it or face heavy
fines. Contracts with utilities like telephone have separate agreements
for giving the service and annoying the customers with advertising. Most
people opt out of the second, of course. On the other hand, you get lots
of non-targeted junk mail.

Alfio