[extropy-chat] US Politics: Draft?

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Tue Apr 13 02:27:13 UTC 2004

Robert wrote:

>These are HR 163 and S 89 which can be looked up on http://thomas.loc.gov/
>It looks like they are trying to draft people possibly into 2 years of
>service (so much for the volunteer military).
>
>The part that I'm scratching my head over was that they were introduced
>in early 2003 (before Iraq started) and didn't seem to go anywhere.
>Do they have to be reintroduced in 2004 or do they remain in the queue?

This was discussed among the punditry at the time; you just don't waste
enough time watching cable news.

>The strange part is that one of the sponsors for the HR bill is McDermott
>who is my congressman (who has to be one of the most liberal persons
>in the House of Representatives).

Nothing strange at all. This was a ploy by the anti-Iraq-invasion left (*).
I wasn't aware of McDermott; the front man in the press was Charlie Rangel.
He had a populist argument that we shouldn't have a war unless everyone was
represented, and brought out the race card again.

Google on

         "Charles Rangel" draft iraq

for more.

-- David Lubkin.

(*)  left, as distinct from other groups in opposition