[extropy-chat] MARS: Because it is hard

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Thu Apr 15 20:08:47 UTC 2004

Adrian Tymes wrote:

>--- Dan Clemmensen <dgc at cox.net> wrote:
>

>>Projects to kill:
>>    manned spaceflight
>>
>>Projects to fund:
>>     Singularity research
>>

>You know, of course, some of us are looking to manned
>spaceflight in case the Singularity turns out
>undesirably (to us as we are at the time).  Similar
>arguments can be made about the other projects on your
>kill list (with the possible exception of fusion, at
>least anything involving fusion reactors larger than a
>standard workbench).

Unless someone can develop and implement a way to actively stop it, the
Singularity will occur some time between now and 2020 with very high
probability. Do you think you will get manned spaceflight at a level
that can usefully avoid a "bad" Singularity in that timeframe?
Alternatively, do you believe my estimate of the timeframe is wrong? The
Singularity research is listed as a desperate and probably futile effort
to increase the probability of a "good" outcome. Low cost, low
probability, extremely high payback.