[extropy-chat] Wearable Camera Etiquette

Thu Apr 15 23:10:50 UTC 2004

On Thursday, April 15, 2004, at 02:45 pm, Samantha Atkins wrote:
> This jumped out at me.  Has patent law descended to the point that
> information is patentable?  Under what conditions if so?

I was thinking of biotech specifically, where specific DNA sequences,
specific medicine formulas, specific cell-lines, and even techniques
can be patented.  This limits much of bio or medical discoveries to the
single company who owns it, and other doctors and researchers can't use
it.

Also, much research is being done on university projects funded by
companies, where they keep the whole project and all information secret
under nondisclosure agreements, just in case they do find something
that it patentable.

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec