[extropy-chat] Wearable Camera Etiquette

Samantha Atkins samantha at objectent.com
Sat Apr 17 19:10:21 UTC 2004

On Apr 15, 2004, at 4:21 PM, Harvey Newstrom wrote:

>> Should some people's desire to limit the capabilities of other people
>> to what they are comfortable with be honored?   I don't see why or
>> how doing so could be compatible with freedom to enhance one's own
>> life and capabilities.
>
> I understand that you don't want people imposing their limitations on
> you.  But can you see how your vision of the future imposes new
> limitations on others?  They currently can hold private conversations
> while at dinner or in their car.  Your future has people using
> technology to listen in on these conversations not intended to them,
> and limits people's capabilities to talk normally.  You will stop them
> from doing what they are already capable of now.  They also will
> resent this new limitation and fight against it.  Their will claim
> that you are limiting them, just as you claim the reverse would be
> limiting you.  I suspect that society will (at least initially) side
> with the majority/older capabilities over minority/new capabilities.

I have already agreed that some new principles of etiquette, possibly
backed by certain laws, would be necessary.  But this is a far cry from
removing even the availability of such extended capabilities.

> What I am saying is that we need a way to introduce the new
> capabilities without destroying people's already existing
> capabilities.
>
>> We need to enable people to augment their abilities AND enable people
>> to have some level of privacy and control over what is done with
>> their information trail.
>
> I think we are pretty much agreed in our goals.  There will be a lot
> of friction as technology becomes more imposing on others.

We also probably agree (?) that it is a slippery slope as to what is
and is not "imposing on others" when the abilities of the players are
in flux.

- samantha