[extropy-chat] Singularity econimic tradeoffs

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Sat Apr 17 20:32:05 UTC 2004

Samantha Atkins wrote:

> On Apr 16, 2004, at 4:54 AM, Dan Clemmensen wrote:
>
>> A singularity driven by computer power and software does not depend
>> on any
>> particular hardware improvement such as molecular circuitry, or any
>> particular
>> software technology such as AI (except in the broadest sense.)
>>

> Please clarify how increased computer power and (supposedly non-AI)
> software will lead to a singularity.

OK!

In my opinion, the Singularity will result from any fast-feedback
process that uses computers to enhance "technological creativity."
"Technological creativity"is that quality or set of qualities that
results in new advances in technology. For purposes of this discussion,
we can restrict ourselves to computer and related technologies.

In my favorite scenario, the initial SI is a collaboration between one
or more humans and a large computing resource. The humans supply the
creativity and high-level pattern recognition, while the computers
supply brute-force stuff like web searching, peep-hole optimizations,
etc. If the collaboration can be made tight enough, the system as a
whole will operate as fast as the human(s) can make high-level
decisions. Such a system would permit computer implementation under
human guidance. Presumably, the first thing the inventors of such a
system will use the system for is improvements to the system. As soon as
the system is implementing things as fast as the human(s) can make
decisions, the next problem that the inventors will turn to is
increasing the scope of sub-problems that can be solved by the computers
rather than the human, using whatever software tools come to hand: there
is no particular need for an overall theory of AI here. since the humans
are still handling that part. The humans become more and more
productive. As they add more and more tools to the computer toolbox, the
humans operate at progressively higher levels of abstraction. They use
the system to optimize the system. If necessary, they use the system to
design new hardware to add to the system. Eventually, the humans are
operating at such a high level of abstraction that the non-human part of
the system reaches and then exceeds the current human level of technical
creativity.

The richer the available computer resource the faster this will go. My
gut feeling is that the currently-available computer resources are
already rich enough that the process no linger needs new hardware to go
to completion, and can therefore go to completion in less than one week,
at which point all connected computes form a single fully=optimized
system, which has also designed and sent fabrication and purchase orders
for the next-generation hardware and for the equipment needed to produce
nanotech.