[extropy-chat] Cryonics without comprehensive brain disassembly?- No

BillK bill at wkidston.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Apr 21 08:56:48 UTC 2004

On Tue Apr 20 19:48:37 MDT 2004 Brett Paatsch wrote:
> In short I want you to think of me as if I was an average voter. If
> you can't convince the average voter without calling in assistance
> from Eugene or Anders or anyone then *you* don't perceive the truth of
> your position well enough to be politically effective with it on your
> own. If you can then you can teach others to do it. And you will be
> effective.  Politicians are not a lot brighter on scientific matters
> than the average voter.

Well. this is the Extropians list. A fascination with technology seems
to be par for the course.

It's like the man with a hammer. If you have a hammer, then every
problem looks like it can be solved by bashing it with a hammer. So if
you are keen on technology, then, guess what? All problems look like
they can be solved by technology. Whereas in actuality technology will
cause as many new problems as it solves old problems. This will, of
necessity, require more technology to solve the new problems.

Brett and John are discussing whether as yet undeveloped technologies
might at some time in the future enable one particular problem to be
solved. The answer is that of course they might. But when/if that time
arrives we will be in a new era of civilization with unimaginable powers
readily available. The new problems facing such a world could well make
reviving dead people a very minority interest.
Survival could well be the most pressing concern.

But there are many problems with cryonics apart from the technical ones.
Even if you allow that it might at some time become technically
possible, it is likely still not at good idea at the present time.
The cryonics supporters are probably well aware of all the criticisms as
they will have had to argue their case many times against the 'average
voter'.

BillK