[extropy-chat] War of Ideology

Bret Kulakovich bret at bonfireproductions.com
Mon Aug 2 18:47:39 UTC 2004

Not to beat a dead thread, but -

I had a room mate once, who was incredibly neat and well organized.
Yes, some people would call him a "neat-freak" or even
"super-anal-retentive" This wasn't an Odd Couple scenario, with me
being a slob, but I wasn't as highly structured. From time to time we
made each other crazy.

So my question is : Who was right?

I heard of an academic expert speaking on Isalm, of course talking the
sense of it being a religion of peace and the like. The quote that
stuck with me, was something along the lines of the "problem" is
radical interpretations of Islamic law, and that most of history
involving Islam revolves around a small minority.

I tend to keep with the old "Your right to throw a punch ends at my
face" Heinleinian angle.

But if we have a group that wants to create "the perfect Islamic
nation-state", and are constantly looking to increase their
square-footage, are we not having an ideological conflict? I think that
blaming partisan politics, soviet-era US backing, coddling Israel, and
all other catch phrases, are failing to acknowledge the fact that this
does seem to be an ideological problem...?