[extropy-chat] Fahrenheit 911 - objective review?

David deimtee at optusnet.com.au
Sat Aug 14 08:45:21 UTC 2004

Patrick Wilken wrote:

> On 13 Aug 2004, at 17:43, Spike wrote:
>
>> I am a right-ish capitalist libertarian.  I don't like
>> Bush myself but would like to see Ralph make a good
>> showing.  Perhaps in the next election, that result
>> would help those more likely to stay out of my portemonnaie.
>>
>> Politics create such odd paradoxes, ya gotta love it.
>

> Spike:
>
> Its really too bad that US doesn't have proportional voting like in
> Australia. It would help stop you have to second guess the party you
> vote for.
>
> best, patrick

Proportional voting is good in that a candidate with widely distributed
support can still be elected with enough votes. This means that minor
parties and independents can still get elected, which makes for a less
monolithic House, and IMHO a more representative elect.

We also use Preferential Voting.  There is a quick explanation of each
here:

http://www.eca.gov.au/systems/single/by_category/preferential.htm

http://www.eca.gov.au/systems/proportional/proportion_rep.htm

One of the benefits of the preferential system is that by listing your
preferences in the right order you can make a 'protest vote' for a small
party candidate while still having your vote count towards the major
candidate that you dislike least.

-David