[extropy-chat] Tunguska -- on the other hand...

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Aug 14 23:01:46 UTC 2004

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/tunguska_event_040812.html

<"I'm afraid this is a rather stupid hoax," said Benny Peiser, a researcher
at Liverpool John Moores University in the UK. "The Russian team stupidly
stated long before they went to Siberia that the main intention of their
expedition was to find the remnants of an 'alien spaceship!' And bingo! A
week later, that's what they claim to have found."

Peiser studies catastrophic events and related scientific processes and
media reports. He runs an electronic newsletter, CCNet, which is among the
most comprehensive running catalogues on the subject.

"It's a rather sad comment on the current state of the anything-goes
attitudes among some 'science' correspondents that such blatant rubbish is
being reported -- without the slightest hint of skepticism," Peiser told
SPACE.com. >

Luckily, we know researchers in Liverpool are always right.

Damien Broderick